Forum home Fruit & veg

a few pic's of my fruit and veg plants

First lets take a look in my hydroponic greenhouse.

for starters here's my hydroponic big beef tomato.

here are some bell peppers,they have been set back a couple of weeks because of the cold snap a few weeks ago.

on the left is a melon pear. on the right is a aubergine 

on the left is a habanero chilly on the right is a desease resistance cucumber.

my onions in the raised bed.

some parsnips and carrots in my raised bed.

my broccoli plants in the raised bed.

my indoor big beef tomatoes with a small cache crop of iceberg lettuce.

my indoor peppers.

my onions for the show.

my bell peppers outside next to my greenhouse.

my fig trees.

• rusty spaderusty spade Posts: 52

I also have a gardening channel on youtube. copy and paste this link for my latest instalment 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnxn512EPFM

feel free like, comment or even subscribe.

thanks.

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 8,390

All power to your elbow but I have to say that veg/fruit grown by the hydroponic method  never has the flavour I look for.

It is not a new system........commercial growers have been using it for years and in my opinion they still haven't managed to overcome the lack of flavour.

Your tunnels and raised beds look good but for me, soil is the way to go.....sorryimage

I totally agree with you. but for size and volume hydroponics cannot be beaten.

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

My brother who had a degree in horticulture told me about hydroponics in the early seventies. The highly nutritious liquid that the plants are grown in is then poured away; makes it's way into lakes and rivers, giving them a very high level of nutrients. This encourages the plants in the water to grow far larger than they normally would. This de-oxygenates the water and you then have dead lakes and rivers.

I hope I have not explained this badly, I am not a scientist, I simply remember what I was told by someone who was.

Well I can asure you that my small greenhouse set up dose not affect the environment.

• Busy Bee2Busy Bee2 Posts: 1,005

Well done Rusty - all looks very organised and hopeful for lots of good crops. image 

Thanks very much busy bee2, it's always good to get some good feedback.

Rusty......I think you hit the nail on the head.......size and volume ........supermarket stuff if I can be rudeimage

As you say, your set up is small and no doubt you are careful in disposing of the run off but Artjac has a point when we are talking about commercial growing.

I applaud you for trying the method but I think you will have a hard time trying to convert the amateur gardener to a hydroponic system.  You could maybe persuade me by sending me some of your fruit to tasteimage

On a more serious note, how do you equate it cost wise............obviously the capital set up costs but how much do you spend in an average growing season ?  Is the increased production worth the cost given the fact that your produce isn't as tasty as you would like ?

Given the appalling weather over the last 6 months, I rather think my whole garden is on a hydroponic system.....just minus the chemical nutrientsimage

Well I make the hydroponic chemicals so it probably woks out cheaper than buying compost. I probably spend less running all of my hydro kits for a season than it would cost to buy a 35l bag of cheap qd compost. And some plants it just makes sence to grow in hydroponics. I mean take the melon pear that i'm growing, I've grown them in soil before and your lucky if you even get 1. But growing it in hydroponics taylored to that plant i can normally get between 5 and 10 to 1 plant. so it just seems to make more sence. It's the same with the tomatoes. 

You obviously have it down to a fine art.............enjoy your produceimage