The blue 'Privacy settings' box in the bottom right corner is a new legal requirement under GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation). It can’t be dismissed or hidden as the idea is that it must be easy to access at all times should you wish to change your settings.

Child proofing garden

Slabs are uneven and dangerous. Looking for suggestions on low budget child proofing. How do I upload pictures from iPhone?

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,926

Unfortunately we don't have the ability to load directly from phones at the moment but normally there is a picture of a tree above the box you type in (to the right of the smiley face) that lets you upload photographs.

As for the slabs would the cheapest cure not be to just lift and relay them in a sand / cement mix so that they are level and less of a trip hazard? Or are you wanting to get rid of the slabs all together in which case what about grass? You can get hard wearing grasses (important around children) and even fake grass if its only a small area you don't want to have to mow.

If you're fancying something a little different to just the normal lawn you can find some herbs (I think creeping thyme and chamomile are just two of the choices you can go for) that grow and cover the area very well without needing to be cut with a mower and stand up to foot traffic - even releasing their fragrances as you walk over them as an extra perk.

• Roscoe141Roscoe141 Posts: 12
    Hi there. Thanks for the reply.

I do not appear to have any options of picture trees.

Relaying of slabs is perhaps the best option for financial reasons however a fake grass would be a better idea for child proofing.

Do you have any experience or knowledge of the rubber that can be found in children's playparks being an option in residential gardens?

If so are they expensive and difficult to install?
  • WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,115

You don't say how old the child/children is/are.

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,478

Terrasofta chipped rubber for childrens play areas are very popular and available on eBay.  It is not cheap though, but have a look anyway.

Hi sorry my little girl will be two next month.

I'll have a search for terrasofta. Thanks
    I was thinking more of the flat material used in play areas and swing parks. I'm not exactly sure what's it's called or how to even describe it.

It's possible that the material I'm referring to isn't even available for residential gardens but if it is I have no doubt it will cost a lot more than the terrasofta.. Hmm

It would appear the material I've been referring to above is basically the same rubber mulch included in terrasofta but rather than being loose is resin bound.  I would assume that will be particularly expensive and presumably artifical grass would be a more cost effective option.

Picture of the relatively small garden below.  Shows the uneven slabs in the bottom and bombsite on the raised section.

Amendment.  The material would actually be Wet Pour EPDM Rubber Surfacing.

• Shady2Shady2 Posts: 16

Hi there, from memory, the terra soft stuff will be expensive and also probably too permanent a solution, as I know from experience that your needs/wants will change quite rapidly. If you are planning to redesign anyway I would go for it and not worry too much about your 2 year old - mine were fine despite my worst fears of our various pitfalls and death traps. you could perhaps consider laying a permeable material down and covering with play bark - we did that for the climbing frame area. You can get that by the lorry load And if thick enough it will cushion any falls - and can be moved once they are over playing like that.  it won't be long before your little one will need a flat surface for a trike etc so maybe bark wouldn't work for the whole space!

• Joe_the_GardenerJoe_the_Gardener Posts: 875

Possibly dig the slabs and the bomb site out, rebuild the step up between the two levels, cover the area with a well-compacted layer of crushed stone about 4 inches thick to keep the weeds down and then surface it with slate chippings. One of those big bags that has to be craned off a lorry would probably cover this - two certainly would.

Then you've got an area for a picnic table, a swing, some big pots of plants and no mud being trod into the house.