Forum home Talkback

Rhodedendron not flowering

nodlisabnodlisab Posts: 406

Every year I get plenty of full buds but it never flowers,why is this ? It is in full sun and looks really healthy.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,289

Is the soil very dry where it's  sited? They like moister soil if they're in a sunnier site. Also, like Camellias, if they get sun on  frosted buds, or wind/weather damage, it spoils the flowers. Do the buds go rotten and fall off?

A pic would help if you can manage it image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• MrsGardenMrsGarden Posts: 3,951

Water well towards late summer, mulch well and keep the root area covered.

• flowering roseflowering rose Posts: 1,632

is it in lime free soil? they will not grow well if in the wrong soil.image

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,022

I agree with Mrs Garden. Many early flowering plants " set" their buds in Autumn.They must have plenty of water then.

Devon.

Yes - but nodlisab has said there are always plenty of good buds on the rhodie.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,022

they'll form, but they'll not flower, and invariably turn brown and fall off

Devon.
  • nodlisabnodlisab Posts: 406

The buds do not turn brown and fall off,and I always give it plenty of water.I dont think the frost has affected them.

Heres another pic.

That's a very unhappy looking rhodie image

Looks like it good do with a good feed and a mulch and I'd remove all the other stuff around it to give it a chance of recovery nodlisab. There's evidence of pest damage there, but a strong growing, healthy shrub would normally shrug that off. Is the soil a bit alkaline too? They need neutral to acid soil to thrive so perhaps that's a big part of the issue there. I've never had problems with rhodos not flowering even when Camellias have suffered - they're very tough  shrubs on the whole, but they do need the right start to get them going. We have heavy rainfall and  neutral soil on the whole up here, which is why rhodies, azaleas, pieris and camellias do so well with very little attention. If the soil's wrong, you might be better removing it and replacing with something else rather than struggle to give it the right conditions. image

Thanks everyone especially Fairygirl,maybe I will put it in a pot and give it new  compost. So depressing when you can see the buds about to burst but never do,but I wont give up.