fig tree

I planted my fig tree two years ago

it has never grown and this year there is no leaves even

I think I have planted wrong ( not anywhere near what is on this website) what should I do

take it out and re plant it

or any rescue remedy

• Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,493

They can be late to leaf...where is your tree situated and do you protect it in winter and restrict its roots?

• lola5lola5 Posts: 20

hello, it is in the garden , no for winter protection no for the root

sorry, im really clueless

• Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,493

Fig trees can grow in the UK but are not very hardy. They like well draining and confined roots. In bad winters covering them is a very good idea.

Scratch the bark on a branch with your finger nail to see if it is green underneath. Green is good, you just have to wait.

You should also be able to see some sort of leaf emerging or wanting to emerge from a bud.

hello, there is some buds coming through

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Correction.  Fig trees do not like having their roots confined.  It is done to stop the tree producing lots of growth but not much fruit.

Confining the roots is done to give the tree the impression it might die - so it had better reproduce itself and make fruit.

I grew figs very successfully in West Wales against a west facing wall, and I know of several good fig trees in the area.  It's wet hereabouts, but perhaps not too cold.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,470

This site gives the best information re growing figs in the UK that I've ever found  http://www.readsnursery.co.uk/fig-trees-for-gardens-and-greenhouses/ 

Also very helpful people and superb produce - I've no relationship with them other than as a very satisfied customer. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

thank you