Asparagus

Hi,

I purchased some asparagus bulb so I could grow my own asparagus but on the back it advises to use loam soil, I was just wondering if using this is absolutely necessary I use Verve multipurpose compost for my pots and grow beds because the house I rent doesn't have any soil in the back garden, it's just stones so we made my own beds.

Thanks,

Cat

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,621

Asparagus are normally grown in a bed of soil specially prepared. They prefer a sandier soil than clay. I wouldn't attempt to grow them in a pot except for ornamental purposes.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,730

Yes, asparagus needs very well prepared ground. As much well-rotted, aged manure and compost as possible for a light, well-drained soil. You do all the prep beforehand because, once the crowns are in place, you can't do much without damaging things. Asparagus beds are long-term affairs, you'd expect 20 years out of them.

Planting the crowns also needs a trench at least a foot wide and up to 12" deep depending on the soil's draining qualities.

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

'Loam' is just a description of good soil.  You can buy topsoil in sacks, but Verve is just compost isn't it?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,215

And another thing, you don't harvest asparagus until the third year after planting the crowns - it really is a long term investment.  I hope that was clear when you bought the crowns. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Cat1988Cat1988 Posts: 8

Thank you all for your responses.  It actually wasn't made clear at the time of purchase it doesn't even mention it on the package!! wow, annoying! I guess I won't be doing that now as in about a year or so I'll be moving to NL, so I don't see much point, they were not expensive but maybe I should have read about doing it before purchasing. I feel pretty gutted now image.

• you need to plant them in a sandy soil and be ready to do some little work with asparagus