Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Dahlia

I have a problem with my dahlia's grown from seed.  60% of them did not flower but produced a pointy seed head and then turned black or one leaf came out.  Such a shame as the ones that came out were lovely.  Could anyone help me please.  Tried to upload a picture but afraid couldn't.

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

That sounds odd-but it has been a funny year weatherwise-there is not much you can do-just snip off the offending material-with a bit of luck the next shoot will flower

• kate1123kate1123 Posts: 2,815

It has been a miserable year to grow from seed,  what variety are they and how tall were they when they produced the pointy seed head?

Use the green tree to upload photos.

• Thank you so much for your replies.  All the dahlia's in the picture will not flower.  I have so many.  I'm afraid it's not just this year that it's happened it happened last year as well.  Wonder if its some sort of disease or bug that gets to them.  They only grow about 24".  It seems that the smaller ones are more prone than the 36" ones.

• franco6832franco6832 Posts: 105

looks like finished flower heads from the picture. just cut them off, keep the plants well watered and give it liquid feed once a week and u should get flowers till the first frost. good luck.

I have to agree they look like finished flower buds, I have to dead head my dahlias regularly  to make them produce more flowers.

• Thanks again.  I have tried dead heading and I don't get any more buds.  I don't get any flowers to begin with just these.  If I dead head all there would be left would be leaves ha ha.  Yes It does look as though they have already flowered - I wish!! Wonder if Monty Don would know.

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

Some seed varieties dont perform as well as the pretty pictures on the packet would indicate-what are these?-if it is something like large flower or cactus mixed I grew some of these years ago expecting something fantastic and was sorely disappointed

Dwarf Unwins mixed seem ok but for best results it is worth investing in some named tubers

Veronica3 there is no direct contact between this forum and Monty. If you want him to answer your question you can try emailing him [email protected].

• LeggiLeggi Posts: 489

I have three Bishop of Llandaff plants that look no where near being ready to flower, does anyone know what I've done wrong or is it the weather? They've been grown from tubers in late spring, started to grow well but a couple of months ago stopped growing and haven't done anything much since.