Shady Area

Been a new gardener, I would like your advice on what plants will grow in a moist, shady area.  This part of the garden never gets any sun, and is always quite heavy soil, as it is wet

• I'm not sure if my comments can be seen.  I thought I maybe able to get advice and help from the more experienced gardener, but I seem not to be getting replies.  This is the 2nd time I have requested advice, but I have no responses.  

• cairnsiecairnsie Posts: 388

You could try foxgloves, hostas that's generally what I grow in my shady area

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,981

Hi Jacqui, is it always wet or does it dry out in summer? and is it really wet like a bog?

If it's always damp, not a bog, you get more choice. Some of the ferns would go really well, some of those that need more moisture. Primroses, pulmonarias, astilbes and ligularia if it's not too dark.

• ElusiveElusive Posts: 992

Dicentra, Ferns, Mahonia, Astilbes all do well in shady areas.

• Hi Nutcutlet, thank you for your reply, I'm grateful as a beginner gardener for your advice.  The area, that is shady, does dry out a little in the summer, but it still remains moist.

That's good, the worst is a bog in winter and concrete in summer.

• Hi Jacqui

have a look at this  all for shade plants 

Hostas in general White Feather Hosta in particular
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,743

I have a damp shady bed that does get some sun after 3:30 between the spring and autumn équinoxes.  I grow aquilegias, lily of the valley, primulas, hostas, ligularia, chelone, Japanese anemone, ferns, dicentra spectabilis, fritillaria meleagris, astilbes and hakonechloa.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • hi obelixx that sounds wonderful imageimage

fritillaries, yes, they'd be good image