Forum home Plants

Plant IDs Please

Sprig2Sprig2 Posts: 74

We moved in to our house last year and there was not much going on in the garden. I spent the summer buying reduced perennials from the garden centre once they had done their thing, with the aim of helping fill the (rather large) garden for a reasonable price. Well now I am splitting some of those and I am not sure what they are (I did not save the labels - lesson learned!). I also have some from friends and a few that I have found hidden under shrubs etc. I was wondering if you can help me ID them. All in pots now as I have some new flower beds to fill that are not ready and I am reorganising a lot of the rest, so we have lots in pots on the patio at the moment. Here they are.

This has a bulb under the compost.

Is this an anemone?

Is this a weed?! It has a very long tap root.

Sorry I could not rotate this one. This is one that was already here. From my memory it was yellow and quite tall (3ft ish).

I believe this has orange flowers.

I know what this is, I just do not know its name. It has 'spidery' purple flowers and is very vigorous.

Pics are not showing up here but hopefully they will once I post!

• FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

I think No.5 is a geum

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,244

5 is geum 6 is perennial cornflower. Centaurea montana

3 alstroemeria  or peruvian lily

1 aconitum or monkshood.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • And 6 may be a centaurea and maybe 4 as well. Could no 1 be a delphinium? with tall blue flower spikes?  I don't know much but I am sure somebody who does will be along in a minute!!

• Sprig2Sprig2 Posts: 74

No, definitely not a delphinium. I know what they look like. I wish it was though.

• landgirl100landgirl100 Posts: 655

2 may be a Heuchera.

• landgirl100landgirl100 Posts: 655

Could 4 be a Coreopsis?

• LiznessLizness Posts: 79

1. Could be Wolfsbane- Aconitium?

2. Heucera or Tellima?

3. Could be Centanthus- valerian?

5 Geum

6. Centaurea montana?

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,107

2 is either a heuchera or a tellima or something related.

1 looks like aconitum but that's not a bulb. But that pic isn't a bulb or any monocot. What do aconitums look like at the bottom? I must have dug them up often enough but nothing comes to my mind (a common situation)

I think 6, is a centaurea as outdoor girl suggests.

agree on the geum, don't recognise 3 

• Sprig2Sprig2 Posts: 74

Thanks everyone. So far:

1. Still not sure. Maybe it was not a bulb as such. Looked like a bulb to me but maybe with a thicker neck.

2. I don't think it is a heuchera so probably tellima.

3. Jury is still out, but pleased I did not bin them as weeds.

4. I do not think it is any of those suggested to date. From what I remember it was mainly a large green clump of leaves at the base and then just a few long thin stems with yellow (I seem to remember) flowers.

5. Geum

6. Centaurea

I think maybe we will have to re-visit some of these once they have grown a bit more.

Another question while I am here, if I may. What is the proper name for giant daisies? the normal white and yellow ones? Probably not that popular these days but I like them. We have quite a few.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,244

Do you mean shasta daisies?  Leucanthemum superbum.

Does no 4 have yellow daisy type  flowers ?

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3