Forum home Wildlife gardening

Hummingbird Hawk Moth

• Keyser SozeKeyser Soze Posts: 126

I was pleased to see some Hummingbird HM's on GW last night buzzing round those Buddlejas! Hope my cuttings have taken so I can have a good few of my own!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 73,806

Hello - I'm not Nut, so I hope you and she don't mind me popping in here to suggest Death Watch Beetle - watch this and listen to the knocking  http://www.arkive.org/death-watch-beetle/xestobium-rufovillosum/video-09a.html 

I used to be involved with the renovation of old timber properties and the identification of DWB holes and activity image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 73,806

DWBs only do their tapping (to attract a mate) in the spring, usually April/May - would that tally with yours?

We always reckoned that DWB was much better to have in a building than woodworm - woodworm spreads much much quicker!

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

Not one I've ever had to deal with fortunately, I live in a wooden house

• Hummingbird HMs love lavender.

• Eek you really want one of those in your garden image 

Kill it with fire I'd say image not that I would image ..

but I'd definitly wouldn't want one of those on my plants .. gah.. *shivers*

Ceratostigma is a favourite for the HBHM here, the shrubby one, willmottianum? or something like that.

• What are you referring to, Belgian?

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

..just bringing up this old thread as I have another  moth to identify...nutcutlet and others were good enough to put me in the picture previously....  this is probably another Silver Y but might it be something else instead....please...?  thank you...

That's a something else Salinoimage

Angle Shades

http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?bf=2306