Forum home Fruit & veg

Grape vine where we're replacing a pagoda

Hi,

I'm helping out on someone else's allotment (on 20 March) - we're clearing a space which currently has on it a very rickety pagoda-type structure, and replacing it with a larger and more substantial structure.

The thing is, there is a grape vine growing near one of the existing posts (which will be removed). It is tied to the existing roof, but isn't really wound round it/attached to it at all (nor to the post). We plan to put in a post next to it within the new structure, and tie the vine in to this internal post and then the roof.

I need to know how best I can protect the vine from damage during the removal and construction process, especially as there will a few guys helping out who are not gardeners and who I suspect won't be quite as careful as me!

I don't think it has been pruned particularly in recent years; it seems to be one long stem really, perhaps 4m long. I know it is not the right time of year to be pruning it, so I presume that cutting it back now would be pretty detrimental?!

Any advice?!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,487

One (or two) long stems is how it should be - the grapes are produced on fruiting spurs that grow off the main stem/s.  It is the  side shoots that need to be pruned, but not at the moment - first things first.  

It sounds as if the vine has been trained correctly up and along the pergola - first impress on the chaps who are helping the importance of the. vine not being damaged and being treated gently.

Then I would take down the existing pergola, at the same time gently laying the vine on the ground without bending the stem.  Then erect the new pergola and gently lift the stem of the vine (correctly called a 'rod') up the post and over the horizontals of the pergola - tying in place with soft garden twine. 

Good luck. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Yep, in Manchester. I have no idea if it has fruited! Thank you, some useful advice. I will threaten that anyone who damages it gets no lunch!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,487

I threaten people on here with no cake Kaitlin - but it doesn't always work image

Good luck - let us know how you get on - some pictures would be great image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Are you concreting in the new posts? 

• My mother had grape vines and we tried to remove them as she no longer wanted them in her garden. Year after year we tried everything to remove them and they still grew. So in my opinion I don't thing you have to worry so much.