Forum home Fruit & veg

Carrot issue

Hi,

I am new to the gardening scene, I have started sowing various vegetables but I need some advice regarding carrots, they have come up but some are tall but some have flopped down. Since the weather is still bad here they are in a trough in the kitchen, am I doing something wrong?  All advice would be greatly appreciated image

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,201

They will be too warm in the kitchen, hence the lankiness. They probably need more light as well.  Early sowings in a polytunnel with no heat are usually alright, but not the kitchen windowsill.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,189

It's still to early to sow carrots and growing them in troughs isn't advised. They have a long tappered roots which need to be able to grow down fairly deep to produce a long carrot.

You can grow mini veg in deep pots and I've grown carrots but they are very small only a few inches long, I didn't think it worth the effort.

I'de advise to wait longer before sowing most veg seeds. Some seed packets do say you can sow in February but you need ideal growing conditions and a kitchen isn't the most ideal.  

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

I've grown in buckets outside. Planted late to avoid carrot root fly, also covered with fleece and sewn ones suitable for container growing, short and stubby but very tasty.

• Okay, thank-you all for your advice, which I have taken on. I still have more carrot seeds so I think I will wait a little longer to sow them.