Forum home Tools and techniques
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Huge garden hedge

Hello,

Having just purchased a house from a gentleman who had much more of a green thumb than mine, I have inherited an incredibly large hedge in the garden. I have attached some pictures below. I would welcome any advice as to how to take care of it. It is so big that I don't know how to even go about starting to take care of it. It is extending into neighbors' house and also extending over the fence at the back of the house. It is about 30 feet wide and roughly 20 feet high. It must be 3-5 feet deep.

Is it something which requires professional maintenance? If so, any idea as to what is required and how much it will cost?

Many thanks in advance.

• I would get professionals in to take the height down to about 8 feet, and to shape the sides properly.  

You might then be able to maintain it yourself with the proper equipment - you'll need a safe ladder system and powered hedge trimmer and you'll also need to study some information about how to use them safely - or you could get professionals in to trim and tidy it once a year. 

Don't let anyone cut it back hard at the sides - if you cut into the older wood it is brown and will not grow new green leaves again - ever! and you will be left with a very ugly hedge.

I am sure that your new neighbours will be very happy with you if you reduce the height of that hedge - it looks like Cupressus Leylandii which can grow very tall indeed and cast deep shade over neighbouring gardens - the tallest documented at the moment is over 100 feet tall!  

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Thank you very much. Very helpful.
  • Am not sure if it will take a cut now and look ok. I suspect a replacement hedge is required.

• Really? How can I conclude on this? Does a professional need to come in and have a look at it?
  • Evergreen hedges need regular cutting to keep them compact and green. Yours has been left to grow wild and cutting back will mean cutting into wood that will not regrow as Dove has said above. It is worth trying to save it but I have yet to see a hedge reduced to a reasonable size and look good.

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Leylandii that size will be almost impossible to contain. Any depth of cutting will reveal bare wood which won't regrow any greenery. Topping the hedge is possible, but if were me I'd have the whole lot dug up and removed.

They can be nice hedges when maintained, but this is a monster.

I'd start again.

• Thank you very much again. Excellent advice.
  • FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

It will also be sucking up all the water as they are very thirsty plants

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

I would get rid of it, though it will not be cheap. Shop around for prices.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

I'd start again, and put something more controllable in like a beech hedge, or variegated hollies. They can be kept to the height you want without much difficulty.