Forum home Talkback

Please help to identify this miniature shrub

Plant is currently 20cm x 20cm, has just been repotted into 6" plastic pot (temp) - ultimately I'll put it into a hefty terracotta. I'd like to know if it requires any special compost, presently rather gritty loam was used. Thanks in advance for ever-helpful advice.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 80,456

Hi David image 

It's a Pernettya - it needs an acidic free draining loamy compost - it's hardy and spreads by runners from the roots so if you want to keep it compact keep it in a pot.  However, if you have acidic soil it can be planted out in the garden as groundcover. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,289

Pernettya mucronata is what I know it as David, although they've changed it's name. Gaultheria is it's posh name now  image

They come in pinks or whites and there's a prostrate one which I have myself and it has red berries. They're great plants and pretty trouble free. I have a white one which is looking very nice just now. The birds tend to leave the berries alone unless it's a very severe winter and food's in short supply, so they usually look nice right through the season.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Snap Dove! image

Snap FG image  but you knew the posh new name image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Only because I bought some last year! Even the girls at the nursery were getting confused because they know them as Pernettya as well  image

The prostrate one is very pretty too - procumbens. In fact I posted a pic on the camera thread today. I bought three for the little narrow shady border I made along my back fence. Useful little plants. image

Yes, I saw that pic but thought it was a medical affliction image

Yes, I did mention ointment I think.....image

Sorry David - we've slightly hi jacked your thread!

• Many, many thanks to Dove & Fairygirl! Delighted by your prompt responses & equally knowledgeable input - the good folk at the GC couldn't offer any firm ideas as the label had blown away in recent gales; so this poor nameless orphan needed 'rescuing' from the Dregs Bench (as I call it). (along with a named Escallonia, I had the two for a fiver!!) *My garden soil is based on red marl/ siltstone, so I reckon they'll live their lives as pot subjects on my patio.

Bargain indeed David !!! and a nice warm feeling inside for saving the poor little plants from the Great Shredder in the Sky image

Result David! They're lovely plants and very versatile. Escallonia's a much underrated shrub as well. I have a white one for against a sunny fence. Enjoy your nice bargain image