Forum home Problem solving

Compost question

My compost is all stodgy and horrible and well, not really compost!! So, I am thinking that because we are having the borders done (hopefully tomorrow), I might mix it in with the soil that gets delivered, then start again. It did the same last year and I managed to put most of it on the current border and it mixed quite well after a few weeks. Any thoughts?

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Not surprised it's wet tracy the weather has been foul.

Turn it, drag it out and turn it back in, add some woody stuff if you can, and cover it with some old carpet or a plastic sheet for a while.

It'll soon get going again.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,390

And if you know anyone who keeps guinea pigs, chicken or goats get some manure to add to the compost - wonderful activator image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800
    It has a lid on the compost bin so hasn't got wet, apart from when I've left it open on purpose as it was too dry. I don't mean wet like that (didn't explain very well), it's like one big lump if soggy smelly 'mush', can't think if a better way to describe it really!!

I don't know anyone with any of those Dove, I did want a goat once but then I don't think I'd have a gardenimage

Thanks guys.
  • archiepemarchiepem Posts: 1,155

fork it all out . and fork it back in  adding some paper  and card as you go image then have tea and cake imageps as DM  said cover with some plastic and carpet  not sure why it has to be carpet just a tradition image

Even if it has a lid Archie? I just took some carpet to the tip yesterday, it had gone all horrible in my greenhouse when it's flooded!!

where is the compost bin in the garden ?

It's right at the bottom of the garden on the other side of my greenhouse (there is a pic of my garden on here somewhere). It's always been there as we inherited it from the previous owner.

sounds like it wants a good mix with card and paper added.. the plastic and carpet  or anything handy will keep the heat in. i thought you had it in the greenhouse at first image ps it is sitting on the soil and not slabs ??

Ha ha Archie, why did you think that LOL! I think it probably does need paper actually as don't think it has had much in. Wish I hadn't binned the manky carpet now!

I'm not actually sure what it's sat on as I don't think I have ever had it fully empty to see. I am guessing it may be on slabs as the area in front of it is concrete/slabs, although knowing the people that lived here before us it could be on anything!!!!
  • Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Order some stuff from Amazon Tracy,great boxes for compost, they go great on my compost heap, it's just the right thickness and the worms absolutely love it! Needs a slight wetting, but great compost bin material!