Compost bin

A while ago, my OH said he's found a compost bin that opens at the front - all the way from top to base - the two halves pull open like doors and then close back together again.  We can't find it anywhere - has anyone else seen this type?

• KT53KT53 Posts: 3,490

The only 'front opening' ones I can find are those with a door at the bottom, not 2 opening sideways.  Unless the bin is extremely rigid I could foresee problems getting the doors to close back up properly if the bin was full.  The pressure on the side would be trying to push them out.

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Bird lady, I am a Master Composter, trained by Norfolk Council and I don't recollect seeing in the literature or at Garden Organic the type of bin that you describe. Which is not to say that they don't exist. My query is; why would you want a bin to open all the way down? Surely you would then end up with it all falling out, you could achieve this by tipping it over or lifting the bin up. My 2 bins have the little hatch near the base; I put on my knee pads, spread out a tarpaulin and dig the stuff out with the coal shovel, sieving as I go.

I appreciate that not everyone wants to spend 30 mins on their knees, so you could try the tip or lift methods mentioned above, though this would make a mess unless the bin is on a hard surface.image

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

I have two 'darlek' type compost bins and another one I bought donkeys years ago which is circular and made up of long plastic sections which slot together top to bottom vertically.  I empty this one once a year by sliding four of the sections out to open up the front.  I can't remember where I got it from but perhaps your OH could make you a square one from wood with a removable front section.

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

This is my compost bin. It's my first year with one. I peeked in today and gave the contents a 'turn' for the first time....but it's just dried twigs and cuttings and no sign of any compost. We put a mix of garden cuttings and veg peelings in and I also sprinkle compost maker powder from Wilkos. Does it need more water or is this normal st this stage?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,600

Tootles, it sounds like its too dry. If you tip it out, wet it, (or get the men to "water" it, tip it back in, it should help it break down faster.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

Thanks fidget.  I'll offer the other half a large cuppa straight away!

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,600

imageimage

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3