Forum home Talkback

SPECIAL OFFER Sarcococca confusa

i have seen this offers page and I'm smitten with the hellebores. But has anyone got experience of the plant Sarcococca confusa? Will it go in borders or pots only??

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

...either...I've got it in a border... full shade.... it's very dull most of the year, coming into flower shortly... Nice scent but overrated in my opinion, unless you plant several bushes together and have the room for that... that's how they display them in garden centres to tempt us.... a single plant on it's own, I find, doesn't do a great deal... the scent experience is brief...

• It's a hardy shrub which has white scented flowers in winter, and is good in winter borders.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 80,463

I've recently bought one which is going to be planted out in a sort of semi-woodland area I'm creating at the end of the garden image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,631

I like it. Totally hardy in the garden for years.

• Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488

Agree with Salino - boring and not that aromatic. Sarcococca hookeriana var. digyna ‘Purple Stem’ is a far superior plant in both looks and scent. Both sucker but very slowly. Both do best is deep shade as per the above.

• Would it grow in a boarder that is near. Conifer hedge shade, or would it pull???? My border is about 2 ft higher than the neighbours conifer roots and has been enriched and is quite moist for being near conifers, just we get the shade from all one side!! 

• Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488

Sounds fine for it!