Bamboo Trees

2»

• KT53KT53 Posts: 2,528

My own experience is totally different to that of Verdun, which doesn't mean Verdun hasn't experienced problems.  I have the golden and black versions of Phyllostachys and one clump forming bamboo and haven't had any problems with any of them becoming invasive.  They have been in the garden at least 10 years.  The golder Phyllostachys has thrown out a couple of runners but I've simply chopped them away and pulled them out.  They certainly haven't turned the garden into in impenetrable jungle, unlike the runners which came up from my neighbour's fruit trees.  They were a devil of a job to get rid of.

I've seen it suggested to contain bamboo by sinking a plastic dustbin, with the bottom cut out, and planting the bamboo in that.

• gerrykgerryk Posts: 24

hi wendy, i have clump forming non invasive bamboo. i cut it as needed and take root cuttings with great success. hope this helps "meringue sounds good"

• Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,569
    for tall plants the previous owners along with bamboo planted pampas now that really is stunning,about 10 feet tall flowing in the high winds its in my opinion far better looking than my bamboo and no probs, i am worried about the bamboo as one is too close to my really good neighbours fence i will be having a good look at it ,
2»