Forum home Plants

new garden clean slate

Hi I have just moved to a house with a 50 square space which hasnt been cultivated for quite a while. any ideas for a quick show and how to fill the space next year? I don't want a lawn but want veg and cottage garden type flowers. Not sure of ph yet.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,862

All sorts might pop up in Spring. Weeds or wonderful perennials.and bulbs. If its very overgrown, spend the winter removing weeds/brambles etc and  getting the soil preparation done. Next spring I would use annuals so that you are sure any perennial weeds are eradicated before planting anything precious.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Jim MacdJim Macd Posts: 750

Hi mad willow, before you do anything you should do some research. Find out what you like, find out what you don't like. If you like Cottage Gardens then you might want to read Gertrude Jekyll. She'll certainly inspire you and give you ideas on what plants work well together and what kind of colour palette to go for. If you dive in and start digging you could well regret it later who knows what is already in your garden?

• While you are waiting to see what emerges from your new plot, it's worthwhile observing where the sunny and shady areas are, as the days get longer and the sun gets higher in the sky, as well as exposed and sheltered areas.  On sunny days take some photos and notes.   You could make a sketch of the plot and highlight the areas mentioned.  All this will help you get to know your plot and help plan the planting areas and none planting areas you would like for the future.