Does anyone recognise these

Help , what can we do about these critters .

http://cid:2B528069-E128-475E-8875-0B2DAF43338C

Sent from my iPhone

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 48,512

Sorry, I can't see the image image

"...tea and toasted buttered currant buns, can't compensate for lack of sun because the summer's all gone..."   Autumn Almanac - Ray Davies
  • Without seeing the image I would guess they are grubs from the Vine Weevil, as I have problems with the same. I sort through the corms, pick out the grubs and the birds have a feast. Then I also sort through the soil/compost of the pots they were grown in, and usually find a lot more grubs.

There is a Vine Weevil Killer you can water on, but I can't remember the name of, as I'm still in my nightclothes and it is out in the shed!!!
  • Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,493

Agree with silver Surfer, very likely to be Vine Weevil grubs. I also have the problem this year. They burrow into the tuber. I found a dozen when lifting them and found 6 when I checked on them again yesterday. Provado Vine Weevil killer is the poison that kills them.

• Thanks everyone, you have confirmed my suspicions. Will buy a vine weevil drench and hope that I can save some of the corms especially as some are 20 years old and lke old friends . I have only had the problem the last 2years and have probably been making it worse without realising by tipping the old compost on to the garden.

• BerghillBerghill Posts: 2,976

Peat based ones are the worse for Vine weevil grubs.

Be careful with Provado, it still kills bees.

• Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,493
    Berghill wrote (see)

Peat based ones are the worse for Vine weevil grubs.

Be careful with Provado, it still kills bees.

There is a difference between Provado insecticide and Provado Vine Weevil solutions.

• BerghillBerghill Posts: 2,976

They are still both neo-nicitinoides.