Forum home Plants

Advice on small plant for our bathroom please?

Hi all

We would like a plant for our bathroom windowsill and have a small container (tiny french bucket) that we would like to plant it in. Can anyone recommend something fairly small, container is only about 6" x 6" so the plant would need to not grow much, it would need to put up with only a small amount of light and obviously condensation and heat that come with bathroom.

any suggestions peeps please? 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,347
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

I had a small, simple, white begonia on the kitchen window sill all summer; it is now in the greenhouse but it would do for a bathroom I would think.

• Another vote for maidenhair fern - without almost constant humidity, the leaves curl up and dry out, so your bathroom would be ideal, as Dove says.

• Thanks all, Maidenhair fern it is then!  image

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,857

Moth orchids seem to like it steamy from the shower. I had a cheap £4 one from Lidl for ages in a corner of the bathroom.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • I'd never thought of having a plant it my bathroom (duh!) but I love the look of that fern.

• GWRSGWRS Posts: 7,943

Rather than a bathroom what about a kitchen plant ?

In the summer I put some herds from the greenhouse on the window sill

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,336

I find cyclamen persicum do ok on my bathroom windowsill.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Thank you - now I know why our maidenhair fern has a lot of crinkly leaves!  It's in a (north-facing) sun lounge & drinks huge amounts of water, but for the last few weeks has been particularly sad looking. Perhaps a water spray would help?

I keep a spider plant in the bathroom but it's not very steamy there; it was either put it there or in the bin as I'm not really bothered about them but wouldn't bin a live plant!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,347

Maidenhair ferns and spider plants often do well with their pots grouped together - maybe they'd both be happy in the bathroom - perhaps with a peace lily as well image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh