Making a terrarium

I don't know the first thing about plants or gardening, so was hoping for a bit of advice. I'm making a terrarium as a gift for someone but am unsure about a few things.

I think my layers need to be - Pebbles, Moss, Charcoal, Soil, Plants. Although I read somewhere that charcoal isn't required if the top is going to be open, and as I'm using a fish bowl, would I not need the charcoal?

If I go to B&Q to buy a few plants, is there any way to identify which ones would be suitable? If I see one I like, I wouldn't know whether it would survive in the environment, and obviously I need some that aren't going to grow much. So would I have to research possible options online first and then hope it's available when I go shopping?

Thanks.

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 8,527

Mine isn't fully sealed, but ivies, ferns and parlour palms do well

My layers are just gravel and compost

We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,539

I've found it's best not to include flowering plants, as when the flowers drop they will rot and cause infection. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh