Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Storm damaged willow tree

Hi,

I've what I think is a Willow (hornbeam shaped small leaves) that has been growing on a slope and uprooted somewhat during the storm.

Because the tree was unseated, and still swaying in the wind, I've sadly cut the tree back.  I've coppiced it hoping for some regrowth next spring.

I've read that Willow propogates easily.  But I'm not sure if the time is right (it was still in leaf, and has little opening buds towards the tips? ).  Either way I'd like to try and save as much of this pretty tree as possible - by planting it elsewhere in the garden.

I've cut off various lengths, some are thick at about a metre, that I have thrown in the pond.  And another smaller batch of cuttings I've got in a bucket of water.

Do I need to strip back all the leaves?  How long should these cuttings be?  Any advice?  Am I being too optimistic?

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Willow grows almost too easily from cuttings. My grandad's allotment and those of his neighbours have rows of willows where they'd used cut willow to mark the rows. Just stick them in the ground, leave the leaves or remove them. Get a good bit pushed in then it will be more stable. It doesn't really matter how long a willow cutting is. a couple of feet, one in one out would do it. Or more, or less. Willow grows

When you say hornbeam shaped do you mean those fastigiate hornbeams that were popular a few years back?

How sure are you that it's a willow? If you have any doubts post a photo.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • WaysideWayside Posts: 845

Thanks,

Those fastigiate hornbeams are pretty.   I initially thought the tree was a willow, when I saw the catkins last spring.  The leaf is/was as I say more hornbeam shaped so I was a bit puzzled, but trying a tree identifier (natural history museum) did bring it up as such.

I'll try and upload a photo, it would be nice to confirm what I have.

It was a pretty tree, and had grown quite tall and slender.  A real sad loss.  Perhaps if I had trimmed it last winter it would still be standing.

I'm optimistic that it will spring back now it's coppiced.  It felt too unstable to pollard.

• If it's a willow the only way a cutting will fail is if you stick it in the ground upside down. imageimage

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

It might even grow then.

If the leaf is hornbeam shaped it doesn't sound like a willow. I thought you meant the shape of the tree. 

Hornbeam shaped leaves and catkins. might need a rethink. Are the catkins dangly or upright?

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Yup, that's a willow.  Just stick cuttings in the ground and they will grow.

Thanks.

I figure it's a sallow of sorts?  It was quite pretty so assume it was a bought ornamental rather than a wild specimen.  But having said that, I have a wild Hawthorn that is stunning so perhaps it blew in.

I could do with some hedging, would these clones make good candidates?  After looking at a dozen or so Willow sites on the web, I'm getting all excited at the prospect of planting other types now.  My soil is a little chalky, so do wonder if it will be wet enough for them?

Wayside pussy willows can be a stunning sight.

Hornbeam leaves are ridged and serrated a bit like a beech

http://www.rfs.org.uk/learning/hornbeam

I think you have Salix caprea, often sold as the weeping 'Kilmarnock'  but much nicer when not weeping.

@nutcutlet, you've inspired a username change.

I only mentioned hornbeam as the leaf had a similar outline, and wasn't elongated.  I'd never noticed them before.

I like those small weeping willows.  They are very pretty in the spring.  Lovely trees.  I've a neigbour with a small front garden who has one and they make for a great specimen.

I like that Waysideimage excellent name. You'll need a wayside photo to go with the name