The blue 'Privacy settings' box in the bottom right corner is a new legal requirement under GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation). It can’t be dismissed or hidden as the idea is that it must be easy to access at all times should you wish to change your settings.

Storing Spring Onions

NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 834

? Once I have harvested the Spring onions next Summer for how long can I store them say from August till when

Never change Tigers in Mid Stream

• I was just thinking this on Friday can you pickle spring onions or is there to much green 

James

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,115

Well, you can keep them in the fridge for perhaps a week or two.  They stand quite well in the garden, certainly into October.  Dig a few as you need them.

• Agree with Welshonion here. You're not talking about Onion sets that you plant in the Spring are you?

• found it YES you can pickle spring onions check this out

http://www.marthastewart.com/875740/pickled-spring-onions-and-asparagus

I shall be giving this a go 

I'm also going to have a go in the summer at drying tomatoes as I love sun dried tom's

James

• NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 834

Man Of kent

Just about to plant two types of Autumn sets that should be available in June - July which wont need to be stored

In February to April 2014 I intend to plant some Spring onions and it is these that apparently I can harvest and store from August to September

? How long will these last into the Winter if I "Store " them

Never change Tigers in Mid Stream
  • I would have thought that successional sowing would be the best idea for having the freshest spring onions. spring onions are pretty perishable after a while so i would not think they would be much good after a couple of weeks in the fridge

CluelessGardener looks to have found the answer though. Perhaps you could look into pickling them?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 45,942

When I've grown Spring onions (green salad onions) I find successional sowing and pulling them as needed works best. image

If you stop taking chances, you'll stay where you sit. You won't live any longer, but it'll feel like it.”