The blue 'Privacy settings' box in the bottom right corner is a new legal requirement under GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation). It can’t be dismissed or hidden as the idea is that it must be easy to access at all times should you wish to change your settings.

Windows 8.1 - a warning !

...if any of you are running Windows 8 on your pc's.. and thinking of downloading this supposed upgrade [that's a joke]... then I advise you not to do so at this stage... it's APPALLING! and I don't often use capitals...

my email programme doesn't work properly ... Internet Explorer behaves in a strange fashion on some websites including this one.. you can't do links... the thing is a pest... it keeps asking if you want to choose another browser and promptly removes your own one from the desktop... you get strange pops up on websites about 'scanstyles' or somesuch.... really, I feel like restoring to when it was before the download....

...Windows 8 on it's own was fine..I was liking it very much... 8.1 is like catching a disease...

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

..I don't know what iOS is...sorry...

and another thing... during download, which took 3 hours.. I was forced to open a Microsoft account, which I didn't want, which replaced my local user account... try getting rid of this MS account... ooh.! no they don't want you to do that, as you cannot then download these rubbishy 'apps' they want to sell you... well, anyway, I've managed to switch back to my local account after some rummaging around...

the thing is a pest.... like a grumpy male after some bevvies...image

• 4thPanda4thPanda Posts: 4,145

iOS is the Apple operating system. Thanks for the tip though, have windows 8 on my lap top. Will hold off with the update now image

• SwissSueSwissSue Posts: 1,447

iOS is Apple. Feel sorry for anyone using Micros##t! Try downloading Firefox or Chrome instead of Explorer!

• KEFKEF Posts: 8,915

Thanks for warning Salino.

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

..thank you for the advice... I'm afraid I don't have pods, pads nor phones so iOS isn't any use to me there...

...this windows 8.1 comes with IE 11 the latest version, which I believe is more secure than any other browser - so I've been reading, or at least that's what they like to tell us... but it does have a few bugs it seems...to be ironed out... and it's probably as much to do with some websites not accommodating it properly as yet... this one for instance... you cannot puts links in posts using IE11 nor can you post a photo... you can upload the photo and 'save' it, but it doesn't appear in the post box...

...I also have Firefox and use that on here sometimes but prefer IE... on my Vista laptop I have IE9 and that doesn't cause any issues...

...I dare say it'll all come out in the wash....image

• I don’t run Win 8 and have not been too impressed with what I’ve seen of it on friends & family’s PCs and not sure about the implications of Win 8.1.

There has been so much negativity about Win 8 since its introduction I think that Windows 8.1 is a damage limitation exercise after Win 8 which so many people criticised/refused to buy. Windows 8.1 is more like Windows 7, I believe. It's a newish product though and IMO it's never wise to buy software that hasn't been around for a while and had most of the kinks straightened out of it.

Anyone know if it’s possible to buy a new PC with a Win 7 operating system?.....I need to replace my existing  desktop.

• Thanks for the link.....very interesting.

I usually buy Dell systems, but they will not supply Win 7 anymore.

I can of course buy a  locally built one (inc Win 7) but prefer buying branded makes.

Don't really know what I'm on about but I thought I'd seen today that 8.1 had been withdrawn.

Thanks again Salino for telling me how to reduce / post my pictures. Hope all is ok with youimage

Bump as good advice