Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: Make a natural log feeder

Great project.

I use a log feeder which is bolted to a permanent post to make it moveable for re-filling.

My recipe is: Chop unsalted peanuts in an old food processor until coarse or fine. Melt branded beef suet slowly in a saucepan without boiling. Add chopped peanuts into the melted suet and stir until completely mixed. Remove from heat at an early stage. Spoon fluid mix into the holes of a horizontal log feeder and allow to solidify. Position, or re-position, log feeder. I use 500ml of nuts with two 200g packets of beef suet. Any surplus may be poured into a small tray, cooled and placed in a net feeder. Stand back and count the species. MJD.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

It's a great idea Michael. I used to do them with the children when they were little and still do it now using coconut shells or even just plastic pots by putting a piece of plastic coated wire into the container and filling with a similar mix. The wire acts as a hanger and I could put them in amongst trees or shrubs for the little birds to get. Sunflower hearts are good to add too. I've got a small tree I had to cut down recently and I'm going to use a bit of the trunkto do exactly the sort of thing you're doing. If you have some pix it would be great to see them image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • will the suet attract RATS ??

• if not i may have a go but soak the sunflower hearts in some honey water

james

• If you or, importantly, your neighbours see rats at any bird feeding station then stop feeding for a while until they move on - the rats that is, not the neighbours! MJD

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

I'd rather have the rats than some of the neighbours Michael image

Never had an issue with suet James. Usually rats only start appearing if too much food is put out on the ground or tables for it to get eaten by the time it's dark. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...