Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Lets share ideas, recipes, and advice.

Hi all

today my farther send me home home with cooking apples, plums, rhubarb. So now is the time for panick, how do I store, what do I cook, what shall I do. 

I could go full force with jam or puddings but is there any fresh ideas out there to stop me hitting the baking like a sweettoothed cake aholic??

any and all ideas welcomed please. thanks

• waterbuttswaterbutts Posts: 1,269

Dunno about the rhubarb at this time of year. I think your dad was pulling your leg.

What kind of cooking apple? The type that fall to a froth or the type that stay in pieces?

You can make apple or plum "butter". Peel the fruit (scald the plums then put them into cold water to loosen the skins) and cut them into pieces, minus their pips/stones.Put them in a big pan and for every six inches of fruit add one inch of water. Cover and simmer until tender. Mash it up in a blender. Put the oven on to 140 Celcius. Measure out the fruit into a flattish baking tray. For ever four cups of fruit add one cup of sugar. Mix well. Put into the oven and stir it every 30 minutes or so until it is thick. Put into hot sterilised jam jars and seal.

• Thank you. 

Not pulling your leg I have 2 huge piles of stems ready to be cooked/eaten! It's at it's best for us now!

• There may be good sticks on the plants, but it's good practise to stop pulling rhubarb by mid-June to allow the plants to build up for the following year. image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Almost time for russet and plum mincmeat for Xmas yummy yumm no suet at all and far tastier than normal mincemeat

• stewFree stew the rhubarb with a little water and sugar in the overnight and freeze.... Or make rhubarb and custard muffins ..... I made some a few weeks back yumm yumm .....( freeze the custard in icr cube trays then add to mix) http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1952/rhubarb-and-custard-muffins

• waterbuttswaterbutts Posts: 1,269

I could knock Dilbert off his steps with mine and it would still be in one piece. Was good earlier on though.

• Sorry for delay in updating, been busy freezing goodies!!  Also making chocolate courgette cake, spiced apple sauce, tomato bread, sticky plum flapjack. Nom nom nom!!!!