The blue 'Privacy settings' box in the bottom right corner is a new legal requirement under GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation). It can’t be dismissed or hidden as the idea is that it must be easy to access at all times should you wish to change your settings.

Wasps on potato stems

Has anyone else seen wasps congregating on their potato stems? I knew wasps chewed wood but not potatoes...

• One of my cosmos plants got bent over at ground level and a wasp homed in and kept rasping away.  I suppose the stem got bruised and was leaking some nice wasp juice. I heaped soil over the spot but it died anyway.

• I had bumble bees in my potato stems. I found 8 the other day. 

• I went to lift a potato plant today and found the base and lower stems of the haulms were simply alive with either wasps or bees, so many that I couldn't grab the stems to lift the plant.  Does anyone know whether they will disappear of their own accord, or damage the tubers?  Can I safely get rid of them without damaging the crop?

• Andrew KennethAndrew Kenneth Posts: 153

Wish I just had to deal with Bees/Wasps

I am plagued with rabbits!

I grow my pots under plastic sheeting with just a small hole in the sheet to insert the potato but they just dig them up and start gnawing on the potato.

I wouldn't mind if they just kept to one or two plants but, they annoyingly go from plant to plant digging up big amounts of my crop!

I have 210 plants and they (the rabbits are a constant headache)image