Forum home Problem solving

Flower bank - one side struggling, why?

Hello,

My flower bed was thriving last summer and this year a quarter section just won’t grow! My garden is north west facing but this bank gets lots of sun, there is no shade. It should be the same soil and nutrients and gets the same water. I’ve also dug around the soil to see if there are any pests and checked the roots of the plants that have slowly died.

1. Pesicaria hasn’t grown at all.
2. Lavender is just about surviving but not growing.
3. Bay leaves have yellow leaves and no growth. 

I’ve attached comparison photos. 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,229
    Are they being watered regularly?
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Thank you for checking. The bank does all get watered at the same time - so I can’t see one section getting much less than the other section. I am consciously watering it more but the heat has been hard!
  • AngelicantAngelicant CheshirePosts: 117
    You have got some pretty big trees and shrubs on the other side of that fence which will be taking up a lot of moisture added to that you have the fence and the fact that it's a raised bed so will likely need far more watering than you might think.
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 2,318
    I am not sure I would grow persicaria as they do like some moisture to do well. Your wall will hold some heat so roots might be warm? Bay and lavender are a lovely combination.
    The process of making a garden is like a river running through your life.
    The place stays the same but the water, even in the stillest days always moves.
    Monty Don.