Forum home Problem solving

Plant ID please

myclayjunglemyclayjungle Coastal Suffolk/Essex borderPosts: 87
 I've found this growing in an old pot.  Its about 30min high.  I haven't seen any flowers on it.  The spikes are slightly flexible. Any ideas?

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,405
    It's a type of invasive grass - carex pendula I think
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,708
    I don't think it is Carex pendula @Pete.8  I also have one of the above in my garden, and have been wondering what it is.

Is it some sort of rush? It looks like something that we use to have in our pond (Juncus effusus?).
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,254
    I think its a rush.  I get them in pots as well. Better removed while they are small. Sometimes I have to tip the pot out and use a knife on it.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 2,348
    It looks like a rush to me. They grow in damp places and plant pots. Lots of them in the woodland garden. Hellish roots to get out if allowed to grow too big. 
  • myclayjunglemyclayjungle Coastal Suffolk/Essex borderPosts: 87
    I did think it looked like a mini rush.  There is a pond only 1m behind the fence in our neighbours garden, so possibly flew in from there? 

We are planning a pond ourselves.  Do you think I should keep it, or start again with a known plant?
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,231
    Get rid.  It will self seed all over the place.  Put something better behaved and more attractive in your pond.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 2,348
    I agree with @Obelixx. There are plenty of plants to choose from. I have a wildlife pond and wouldn't dream of planting a rush in it mainly for the reason I gave in my last post. 
  • myclayjunglemyclayjungle Coastal Suffolk/Essex borderPosts: 87
    Thank you everyone.  Really appreciate the advice.  Its going tomorrow!!!