Forum home Problem solving

What can I grow in place of downy mildew afflicted sweet peas

The sweet peas that I grew with initial great success in my raised (otherwise vegetable) bed have pretty much succumbed to down mildew now. It's time to pull them out. What can I grow in their place? I will do my best to remove any affected detritus, but being realistic, it's still going to be present in the bed. What can I put in there instead? Nothing pea-like or any cucurbits for sure...
Also is sweetcorn likely to be affected? The sweet peas are in the middle of three beds that are of necessity quite close together. I have yet to plant the sweetcorn. So far the French beans in a neighbouring bed and dward ones in the same bed seem unaffected.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,207
    As you suspect the spores of mildew are omnipresent but they do only affect plants which are stressed, usually by thirst.

As long as you put some goodness back in the soil - well-rotted compost or manure, spent potting compost with added BF&B or pelleted manure - and keep the new plants adequately watered you should be fine.   Good ventilation helps too so don't crowd them.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • REMF33REMF33 Posts: 586
    I've watered them every day. They were fed regularly and were planted in well-fertilized (manure) soil. They were not crowded. They were super healthy plants! The best I have ever grown. I really don't think this is my fault!
    But whether or not it was, I really did do my best for them, and it makes sense to me to avoid planting things that are prone to mildew in their place.

If I put manure down, I won't be able to plant for some time? I don't want to waste very limited and precious space. I take it it's ok to use manure pellets and plant straight away? I have always avoided them as there are foxes living hjust beyond the bottom of the garden and have always been concerned they will go digging things up if they can smell it. I am sure there are other ways to add nutrients though. I have some slow release vegetable fertilizer, for example.
    Any manure use din the garden should have been rotted down for at least 2 years and be odour free.  It is also ready to use, as opposed to fresh manure.  You can buy bags of it in good GCs and DIY stores.

I've given up trying to grow sweet peas here as, even with only early morning sun, it's too hot and dry for them and they succumb or just fail to thrive in the first place.  I get a few flowers for maybe 2 weeks and that's it.  Not the generous handfuls I'd like despite good soil, feed and daily watering.

I'd just go ahead and improve the soil as you can to restore fertility, as you would after harvesting any crop, and then plant and water as needed.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • REMF33REMF33 Posts: 586
    The stuff I buy from garden centres etc is never odor free. I have planted beans straight into it in the past, but not sure about other things. I will look up what it's not too late to plant, and get something to improve the soil at the weekend. I guess any veg plants that are on offer at a garden centre will do. (I am not going to try sowing anything.) GC trip at the weekend it is, then!

The sweet peas were sited in semi shade and were doing so very well. The stems were lovely and long, and the flowers beautiful and prolific. I will repeat the experiment, I think. It's worth it for 6 weeks of posies to put on the table next to wear I work, but I get nothing like the 'crops' some people have no here.

Thanks for your adivce, @Obelixx. I very much appreciate it.
    Manure should nearly always be mixed with soil.  It's too rich on its own as a planting medium.  Roses and rhubarb love having it layered on thickly as a mulch in autumn and spring but for annual plantings and when planting perennials you'd mix it in.

Sweet peas like full sun, in general, but not great heat which is why they are often started very early before being planted out.  They need a lot of water, like edible peas, and fertile soil.