Forum home Problem solving

Nellie Moser

On advice I bought Nellie Moser, Bill McKenzie and Prince Charles clematis to grow against a shady fence. The second two are settling and growing new shoots  bur from Nellie Moser nothing. It's alive but not a single shoot in over a month.

Maybe too much shade ? Maybe wrong time of year ? I could move it to an area with slightly more sunlight but, if so, would prefer to plant it in a container for a while to see if it develops before making it permanent. Or should I leave it and wait ?

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 19,542
    Nellie Moser gets going quite early, at least mine did, when I had one. Then it rested. I think you may need to be patient and see what happens next spring. Give it a feed and a good watering. Don't forget to water your clematis during this hot weather.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 80,476
    You have clematis from different groups which grow and flower at different times of the year. Nelly Moser is a large flowered Group 2 whose main growing and flowering is likely to be over for this year … an established plant may have a second flowering in September but I rather suspect (and hope) that yours is concentrating on establishing a good root system to support lots of top growth in the future. 

Prince Charles and Bill Mackenzie grow and flower later in the year, so now is when they’re putting on new growth. 

As long as your plant was healthy when you planted it, and as long as they’re all having some good soakings of water during this hot dry spell, I wouldnt be concerned about an apparent lack of activity from Nelly Moser. It should all be happening underground 🤞 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,215
    It can take 2 or 3 years for a clematis to get settled in and during that time a lot of energy will go into a decent root system.  Keep yours watered in dry spells and give them all a good mulch of organic matter in autumn then a good dollop of slow release clematis, rose or tomato feed next spring.

Bill McKenzie and Prince Charles flower on new stems grown each year which is why they do well with being pruned back hard in Feb/March.  Nelly is a group 2 so flowers on last season's wood in May/June and then, if fed and watered well, should produce a second flush in late summer.   You can tho, to simplify matters, treat her as a group 3 in spring and prune her hard.  She'll then produce a longer, single flush of flowers over the summer and you can dead head to encourage more flowers.

Patience and good watering and feeding are key to establishing healthy clematis, plus training their new stems to grow horizontally or diagonally and not in one vertical tangle.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • UnionworkerukUnionworkeruk Posts: 146
    I think lack of patience is my problem  I want instant results and if I dont see progress every morning then I think something is wrong.  I will do as you all suggest and look forward to next spring when I will probably be watching the Mosser like a hawk for progress.  Thanks.
  • CDouchCDouch South Devon Posts: 83
    Hi, I planted a Nelly Moser last spring and it really struggled to get going, no flowers and it sort of withered away so I cut it right down to the ground, forgot about it and presumed it didn’t like the position.  But this spring it started shooting and looked so much stronger and it produced flowers, so stick with it 🤞
  • UnionworkerukUnionworkeruk Posts: 146
    Mine's just doing  nothing. Not growing or withering. I think i will just leave it and prune in the spring unless it withers like yours. I have decided not to dig it up though and hope its rooting away below ground ready for next year !
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,215
    Water deeply and feed.  She'll be fine.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw