Forum home Problem solving

Rose

I have a rose that I'm not sure what to do with.

It flowers only once a year

10ft high

7 stems at base

Approx 100+ at top

Suffers blackspot.

Does it need to be severely pruned?

Or what do you suggest and when.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 19,518
    It depends on what type of rose it is. It could be a rambler, many of them only flower once a year. If it is, then it should be pruned after flowering by removing the flowered stems. Ramblers flower on new wood. There are some short ramblers but a lot grow very tall.

It really needs identifying. Do you have a photo? What colour is it? Single or double flowers? Flowers big or small, singly or in clusters? Thorny? We need more info to know what to do with it.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Kate 7Kate 7 Posts: 420
    If you can't get it identified then treat as you would any other shrub. 
    I presume you want it more contained and shorter. Could prune immediately after flowering or in winter when dormant. Remove dead diseased and dieing wood. Remove the 3 oldest of your 7 stems to about 15 cm or lower. This will encourage new vigorous stems from low down which can be used as replacements in future years to establish a framework.
    Shorten remaining stems by about 1/2. Thin remaining growth, usual rules apply, keep centre open, cut above an outward facing bud etc.
    I am assuming that it is a type of shrub rose. It would help lots to see photos.
    You have nothing to lose by hard pruning your rose, though you may lose some flowers for a year.