Forum home Wildlife gardening

Wasps

Struggling to find any info online re wasp nests but think this may be a European Paper Wasp nest. It has been on the cross beam of my garage door for about 2 weeks. I only caught a brief glimpse of the wasp & think the nest may now be abandoned. Be nice to know what it is and if it is unusual for Crewe Cheshire.

• bcpathomebcpathome Buckinghamshire Posts: 696
    That’s so beautiful. Do you know anything about them to help ….sorry …..just couldn’t help expressing how lovely it is .
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,226
    The wasp nests we have look like paper hexagons built in layers and nothing like that at all.   However, a quick google sows this image on a Rentokil site that looks just like yours - https://www.rentokil.co.uk/wasps/wasp-nest/#:~:text=Wasps make their nests from,bird boxes, sheds or garages.

I leave ours alone.  Wasps are a gardener's friend as they eat aphids.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Kate 7Kate 7 Posts: 436
    Looks amazing. Agree, wasps are natural predators, essential in our gardens.
  • floraliesfloralies Haute-Garonne SW FrancePosts: 2,038
    I just wish they wouldn't sting you! Had one yesterday and now have a swollen hand.