Forum home Fruit & veg

Quadgrow - help, please

Penny_ForthemPenny_Forthem North WalesPosts: 273
I am getting to the time when I will need to plant up the tomatoes into their Quadgrow stations in the greenhouse.
It's the first year I've used this system. I have also bought mulch caps.

Any advice, please, about fitting the plants through the mulch cap hole? Some of my tomatoes are already too big, i think.
What kind of compost do you use?
Any general advice, too, about Quadgrow gratefully received.

I am growing 7 tomatoes, plus one cucumber (just germinating).
I will be growing the rest on inside till warm enough to put out in their big pots in a south facing corner, in a mix of JI and PF.
We had a bumper crop last year.
Can it be beaten?

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,289
    I've no experience of these so can't help really, but are the mats a circular material with a hole in the middle? If so, could you not cut a slot from the outer edge across to the hole? Many of these weed suppressing mats are that sort of design.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Penny_ForthemPenny_Forthem North WalesPosts: 273
    Thank you @Fairygirl, but it's all the  dreaded plastic.
    There is a tank for water/feed, a wick into the pot and a plastic mulch cap.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,289
    Ah - a different thing entirely then  :/
    I think a few people here have used them though - so they might be able to help. I'm sure there was a query a while ago about them too.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 3,793
    edited 23 April
    When I saw the three words “Any advice, please ...’ I was already formulating an answer ‘don’t allow the plants to get too big or they won’t fit through the mulch cap aperture.’ Hmm. All I can suggest is wrapping the tomato in a roll of paper and gradually turning the roll until it gets sufficiently squeezed.

The other advice I would offer is to plant the tomato so the first shoot is facing forwards. The main stem can be tied to the rear cane and then grow on the first shoot which you tie to the front cane. Be sure to place the mulch caps so the holes are facing front and back not side to side.

One other tip. From our local market I buy for a couple of quid a replacement old fashioned mop head - the sort caretakers use. Take off the plastic binding strap and the threads make excellent tomato ties. Being a bit precious, I stain the ties by dunking them in a brew of old tea bags in order to make them blend in better.
  • I've got the same problem. Decided not to use the lids this year and remember for next. 
  • Penny_ForthemPenny_Forthem North WalesPosts: 273
    Update: I have got 4 done
    Luckily, @BenCotto I had held some back and I watered them well. By the time they were out of their pots and the roots 'loosened' they went in through the mulch cap aperture OK.
    However, the pots are much larger than I would normally plant into at this time of year, so it was a trade off between mulch caps/pot size.
    It's all an experiment this year and I will grow the rest on in the 'traditional way'.