Forum home Problem solving

Water from waterbutt is foamy

I noticed when I went to use some of the water, it foamed up and has a slightly odd hue. The gutter is on the garage so unless my neighbour has put something in the gutter or on the garage roof (chemicals wise) there shouldn’t be anything untoward in there. The other waterbutt was fine but, that one fills from the one that’s foamy but was filled before I had to drain the foamy one to fit a new tap. I’m not sure if the water is ok to use or if I should just drain it, rinse the barrel out and fill from fresh

• SherwoodArrowSherwoodArrow Nottinghamshire Posts: 160
    edited 22 April
    Mine is always like that (from my shed) after it has rained after a dry spell. I put it down to pollen in the air. Sometimes I get a pollen ring around the top like a tide mark. I always use it on everything, not had any problems.

Others will know more than my guess though.  :)
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 78,435
    I used to get the same when I had a butt taking water from a flat roof ... the consensus of opinion on here was that it was ok but possibly don't use it on seedlings. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• zugeniezugenie Posts: 562
    edited 22 April
    Thank you both! That’s handy, I never use it on seedlings (read once it can increase the chances of damping off) so they are safe! I just wanted to top up the pond and make sure I wouldn’t end up with two contaminated waterbutts if it ever rains again!