Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Lichen on my seed compost

hikiwarihikiwari Posts: 14
edited April 2022 in The potting shed
Hello I have used John Innes seed compost for my seeds growing this year and a green lichen has appeared. Why is this? Does anyone know? Thanks.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445
    It's Algae rather than Lichen. It grows in damp places. I use grit on top of seeds that take a while to germinate, that seems to prevent it

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • hikiwarihikiwari Posts: 14
    It's never happened before and after three weeks it look like nothing has geminated. Would this algae have prevented germination?

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445
    yes, I think it might prevent germination if it gets thick enough. Some seeds would break through but some wouldn't

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,340
    The reason for the algae is that the compost is soaked.
    Seeds need air as much as water to germinate and grow

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
    Ah, I understand. Thank you both. I’ll dig out the seeds and replant and hopefully save them.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,340
    John Innes doesn't drain well when used by itself, you'd be better off with ordinary multi purpose compost.
    Then when you water, most drains through leaving enough to keep it moist and ideal for germination.
    Keep thee compost just damp until the seeds germinate

When you transplant your seedlings into pots or whatever, you could add some of the John Innes to the multi-purpose to give it a bit more body

Good luck

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Try mixing in a god couple of handfuls of vermiculite when reseeding.
    You can buy vermiculite online in 25l & 50l bags - much cheaper than Garden Centres.
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117
    Seeds need very little moisture, so it's better to keep them on the drier side. It's more problematic if they're over watered.  :)
    At this time of year, a basic MPC with some added grit or Perlite is ideal, unless it's a plant which doesn't mind a damper growing medium - like sweet peas for example. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
    That's really good advice everyone. Thank you very much.
    Can I ask one more question?
    So when thinning or pricking out, I choose the strongest looking seedings but what does everyone do with the remainder? I can't stand throwing them away but if I pricked our everything for re-potting I'd be waist deep in small pots!! 
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117
    What is it you're growing? 
    Many plants are fine just split into small groups of seedlings, rather than separated into single plants  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...