Forum home Problem solving

Suggestions to green this wall

So i have this wall which upsets me - it gets all the sun - i cant put containers on the sides due to the space required for car to come in and out . I am looking for some ideas to get some green growth across it- it is south or sw facing . I am thinking of placing pots behind it and then trying to trail something ( passion flower / clematis?) around the front . Any suggestions or advice welcomed on technique and or plants please 

• selinasallyselinasally Posts: 166

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,963
    Do you mean the outside of the wall is south/SW facing?
    If so, you can certainly try planting a climber or two in containers on the inside, but they'll need to be a decent size for them to work well. 
    You'd probably need to have something on the wall too, for support, and for tying in. There are plenty of clematis suitable for containers, and for any aspect,  but how easy it will be to keep them looking tidy enough in those circumstances, I don't know. 
    It's usually the sides of walls or fences that are seen from the house that most people are concerned about   :)
    Have a look at Taylors Clematis, Thorncroft and Hawthornes for ideas of suitable varieties. One Group 2 or 3, able to be container grown, and an early Group 1 [not a montana or anything else too vigorous] would be enough for that space, and would give a succession of flowering. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• selinasallyselinasally Posts: 166
    Thanks for the advice - yes the outside of the wall - i have a clematis Taiga that i need to check what group it is that i still need to plant out .would be nice if ut smelt good too