Forum home Problem solving

Problem Acer

Hi, I have a red leafed 4/5 yr old acre with approx 60mm diameter trunk that is in the wrong position, open and full sun. It gets leaf burn and is spoilt. I decided I would reposition to a better location but after digging and uncovering the some of the roots I am worried that I may have bitten off more than I can chew! Can I cut the tap roots as the ones I’ve seen are quite thick and are going in all directions. Will it grow back or should I leave it? Any help would be appreciated.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,981
    Have you got a photo?
    I think if the trunk is that diameter, it may be a bridge too far, unless you can get a big enough rootball. The other option is to do it in stages, by cutting a slit to a good depth [a foot at least]  around the plant - about a couple of feet away from the trunk. Then leave it until autumn. If it survives until then, it will have re adjusted the root system enough to enable you to dig it out more easily. The new root system will basically be smaller. 
    Trying to dig it out in autumn is usually easier because ground will be damper, which always helps for re establishing it as well. 
    I can't guarantee it would work, but if you're unable to get a good depth dug down just now, it's worth trying. You can do it with all sorts of shrubs.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,494
    Alternatively, could you change your garden plan and plant something to shade the acer?
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,981
    Yes - that's probably the only other alternative, and might be safer @Liriodendron :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....