Forum home Plants

Plum tree pruning disaster?

tomhumftomhumf Killamarsh, NE Derbyshire, UKPosts: 61
We've had this plum for a few years. It looks like maybe the main leader has been cut at some point?! Are we doomed, or one of the side branches will have to become the main leader? Should we cut one of the branches where they come out right next to each other? And trim back the thin branches at the top a few feet?  Thanks :/ 

• steephillsteephill Posts: 2,423
    Don't do anything now! It is the wrong time of year to prune plum trees (silver leaf infection), wait till summer. Plum trees are often messy bushes in shape so I wouldn't worry about having a main leader. Do you know which rootstock your plum is on?
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 78,312
    I agree with @steephill ... do nothing now ... stone fruit risk contracting Silverleaf disease if pruned in the autumn, winter and spring.  While you wait have a google for instructions about pruning fruit trees as a goblet shape ... it may give you an idea for your tree.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• tomhumftomhumf Killamarsh, NE Derbyshire, UKPosts: 61
    edited 17 February
    Arrgh! I chopped a branch off the bottom before posting this. Is there anything I could do or just hope for the best? It's going to be wet for ages :( 

I'm not sure what variety or rootstock it is