Forum home Plants

Sick Cherry Blossom Tree

ciaranmcgreneraciaranmcgrenera Posts: 178
edited 16 January in Plants
In our front garden we have what I think is a Cherry Blossom- it predates our time here and has not been well since we moved in at all. It’s a grafted tree, and I’ve included some pics. There is a lot of damage to the base of the trunk, some Coral spot this year for the first time, and as you can see the growth seems abnormal to me with clumps with loads and loads of shoots all coming from one spot, but the nothing in between. A couple of the biggest branches on one side are completely bare.

I’m tempted to put it out of it’s misery but I wondered if anyone had any advice as to how I might help it instead.

• UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 1,942
    The tree has coral spot fungi. You see it in woodland on dead branches. Nothing can be done as far as I know I'm afraid. Just checked and found this from RHS

https://www.rhs.org.uk/biodiversity/coral-spot
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,952
    I think I'd cut my losses with that @ciaranmcgrenera.
    If you want to replace it with something else, it's worth removing the gravel and the fabric, and thoroughly improving a much larger area of the ground before planting.
    I'd then leave a good space round any tree or shrub you put in, so that you can mulch etc, at least for a few years. The gravel could then be replaced [without the fabric] but keep a good few inches round the main trunk clear.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thanks @uff, and @Fairygirl. Looks like my first gut feeling was right then. To your point there’ll be a full redo of the front drive/ garden in the horizon so I’ll not be repeating the previous owners’ mistakes. The house was once a student house so I’d say little notice was taken of things like that tree for years!