Forum home Problem solving

Last Minute seed buying

pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,132
Help!

The seed packets that I bought last autumn have, unknown to me, been getting soaked by a very tiny slow leak from a tap in another part of the cupboard that they were in.

The local garden centre that I used to go to shut down last year.

The Co-op is only selling flower seeds.

The only other shop nearby has decided not to sell seeds this year.

I have looked online but I don’t know much about online seed sellers and also the ones that I have looked at are out of stock of the varieties that I want.

It’s vegetables, mostly legumes, that I’m looking for.

Anybody got a recommendation, please?
Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,273
    edited 14 January
    Have you tried Chilterns or Seedaholic @pansyface?

Or - have you looked on the seed swap thread? Someone might have what you need/want   :)

I just remembered I bought lettuce seed from SimplySeed a couple of years ago. They were very good to deal with.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,533
    I often use Chiltern's too.
    Premier Seeds Direct was recommended here a few years ago and I frequently buy from them now - cheaper than some of the big companies, but I often use Mr Fothergills too
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,906
    Premier seed direct for me too,  they used to be just on eBay but now have their own site,  if you’ve got time to compare, sometimes they do a better deal on eBay,  buy 5 get one free and usually free postage. 
    I’ve  also used  Seedahilic and Simply seed,  they all come in plain little bags so are cheaper than the fancy Sarah Raven stuff. 
    My parents used to grow everything from seed, dad with veg, Mum with flowers, they wouldn’t ever use Thomson & Morgan.  
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• GearóidGearóid EnglandPosts: 183
    I use Premier Seeds Direct. Good range and prices. 
  • B3B3 Posts: 21,482
    The gardening magazines often have freebies stuck to the front. Sainsbury's were selling little crates of seed packets for a tenner. There was a vegetable mix and flower mixes sorted by colour. I didn't look that closely but there seemed to be quite a few packets
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,906
    I know people who’ve had great success with Lidl seeds,  usually 3 packets for a pound I think.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• B3B3 Posts: 21,482
    Yes they're fine
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • RedwingRedwing Posts: 1,155
    I used Premier Seeds for the first time recently and they came very quickly; don't know how good they are yet though.
    Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.
  • EustaceEustace OxfordPosts: 810
    edited 14 January
    @pansyface If you post your requirements, I'm sure many of us might have extra seeds in our seed tins which we are willing to share happily. I use this site too as they have seeds in smaller quantities.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,132
    Thank you all very much for your suggestions. I have just been out for my first foray into the garden this year, leaf sweeping, am absolutely cream crackered, and shall sit down with a cup of tea now and have a browse. 🙂
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.