Forum home Plants

Magnolia 'Susan'

Hi all. Happy New Year. 

I am treating myself to a Magnolia this year. And have been looking at the Susan variety.

I have read conflicting advice about when it is best to plant. Some say now (winter) others say spring or autumn. What would you recommend? I was thinking best to plant when the tree is dormant. 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,981
    Hi @Benwoodcockuk - you can plant any time if it's potted, but autumn through to spring is ideal as it's easier for establishment. Autumn is probably best because of the number of months of damper, cooler weather for that.
    If you get it from now onwards, you'd still need to keep an eye on it during summer re watering. That will depend on how wet an area you live in too   :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,336
    edited 4 January
    If you are buying it bare-root, plant it into its final position as soon as it arrives (as long as the ground isn't frozen or very boggy.)  If it comes in a pot, you can delay planting until the soil is suitable (again, not when frozen or waterlogged.)  If bare rooted and the ground isn't ready, you'll need to temporarily pot it up on arrival until you can plant it out.
    Edited to add that Susan is my favourite out of the varieties here.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.