Forum home Plants

Monstera Deliciosa

I was really pleased to be given this plant - also known as Swiss Cheese plant - for Christmas - it's a really healthy looking plant - about 4 feet tall and it's planted in a coir type pot which is quite floppy. Can I put it straight into a decorative ceramic pot in the coir pot, or should I repot it into a plastic pot?  I would prefer to keep it in the coir type pot as it seems the more sustainable option, but I've never used coir pots before.  Also, will it thrive in a room with both a radiator and an open fire (both rarely on at the same time)?
Many thanks.

• PlantmindedPlantminded WirralPosts: 1,120
    Hello @justflowers, a great Christmas gift!  I think that for the longer term your plant will be better off in a plastic pot, inside your decorative ceramic pot.  Coir can disintegrate with time so you will cause less root disturbance by repotting it now rather than later.  I can empathise with your sustainability concerns but the plastic pot will also give you better control over your watering regime.

As long as your plant is not directly in front of or above your heat source it should be fine.  Just keep an eye on the moisture level by using your index finger to check - if it feels dry up to your first knuckle, water your pot ensuring it drains fully into a sink or bowl (not into your ceramic pot!)  It's also better to use filtered water or rain water rather than tap water which some plants are sensitive to.

This care guide should help you (these plants can get quite big!) Monstera Deliciosa: Plant Care & Growing Guide (thespruce.com)  I hope this helps.
  • Thank you so much @Plantminded - that's really good and detailed advice which I will follow !! 🙂