Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Starting off habaneros now

I normally start off habaneros from seed in feb in the house without heat or extra light and move them into the greenhouse when it is warm enough, they do well enough and I get a great harvest, cannot complain.

I was reading that some people favour starting them off earlier and was wondering whether it is really worthwhile doing this, obviously you would need extra light at this time of year. I am guessing the main benefits would be more heat in the chilli and probably stronger better developed plants, but not necessarily anything else such as more fruits per plant, but I am happy to be proven wrong.

So, does anyone start off habaneros at this time of year and would you say there are benefits to doing so compared to say, starting in a month or two from now?

• SkandiSkandi Posts: 1,723
    I start them In January, I use lights which also provide extra heat, that's after germinating them on the bathroom floor at around 28C. We have a short and cool season so I find I need the extra time to get them going, they are just starting to flower by the time they can go out in Early June or very late May depending on the year.
  • Depends on your location to an extent.  Also of course what the weather holds for us next year.
    I haven't particularly found the flavour is enhanced by early sowing and it is debateable whether the extra warmth and light needed for successful sowing now as opposed to in a couple of month's time is worth it.
    If you are happy with your usual regime, perhaps best stick to it unless someone (in a similar situation to you ) has incontrovertible evidence to the contrary.