Forum home Plants

When/where to plant Acer Firecracker

2»

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,145
    Many plants come with a cane or support of some kind - it's mainly just to support them in transport, and isn't usually necessary once planted. 
    You can raise the canopy to create a different shape, which involves removing lower branches, but it would be better to let it settle in and grow naturally for a while until you see it's habit properly. 
    Some Acers naturally grow in a more upright 'tree' shape, and some are spreading and drooping. The one you have seems to be somewhere in between, which is probably why there's varying info about them. 
    Some also get grown as standards [which just means a main trunk with a top canopy] but they often look pretty bad. There's a garden near me which has two like that. They look hideous IMO. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,509
    If you have a pic would give us a better idea, but basically if it has a single stem coming from the pot with a few branches coming from that single stem then it'll naturally grow into a tree form.
    Like this-

If there are multiple stems coming from the pot then it'll grow as a multi-stemmed tree which would look like a shrub
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • RubiksRubiks Posts: 25
    Oh ok thanks, yes the one I have does look like the one pictured so I'm happy with that. I will plant it and leave it to its own devices in that case. Thank you for the help :)
    I planted this one about 30 yrs ago - never been pruned

• RubiksRubiks Posts: 25
    oh wow, that's gorgeous! I look forward to seeing mine in 30 years time  :p
    Do remember to send me a pic 😁