Forum home Problem solving

What is my young lavender plant doing? 😅

Its grown in a really odd way, as though it has a torso and two outstretched arms turning up at the ends(this picture would then be a side profile). My other lavender has grown in a nice even shape, with all three "strands" in alignment, but this ones outer ones have gone awry. Theyve both been growing in the same place too. Is there any way I can fix this? Will it grow even more strangely or will it sort itself out? Many thanks!

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,881
    I grow all my lavender plants from seeds,  some grow like yours, you’ll see along the stem of the long bits that they are branching out,  just cut them back about halfway just above a bit that’s shooting.  They’ll grow out nice and bushy then. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Lyn said:
    I grow all my lavender plants from seeds,  some grow like yours, you’ll see along the stem of the long bits that they are branching out,  just cut them back about halfway just above a bit that’s shooting.  They’ll grow out nice and bushy then. 
    Do you mean to cut half off the "outstretched arms"? I see no bits brancing out of them, but new leaves are growing everywhere
    Cut them off like this.  They’ll bush out. 

• Lyn said:
    Cut them off like this.  They’ll bush out. 

Oh I see! Thank you very much for your help :) 
  • Just followed your advice! Looking forward to it getting bushier and more even... Its looking a bit of a sorry state now 😅

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 80,410
    Looks perfectly fine to me. I’d be very happy with that.  Short and bushy is preferable to long and lanky with lavender 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Okay, thank you :) Silly question but I was wondering if the bits I cut off will always look "cut off"?

I'm new to this so I tend to worry and be over-precious with my plants 😅
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,577
    You could cut them back a teeny bit more closer to the leaves if you want to. Otherwise they're fine  :)
    That’s  good, the other leaves will fill out and you won’t see them next year.