Forum home Problem solving

Plants

Good evening , I wonder has anybody got any information on how to store geraniums . This is obviously for overwintering purposes . Only I've read something elsewhere that says bare rooted, kept upside down in box in shade monthly checks to safeguard against mould/mildew. Any information would be appreciated thank you

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,892
    I’ve just brought mine in from the garden, potted up and put on a lower shelf in the greenhouse.  I will keep them quite dry over the winter then cut the down a bit next Spring . 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Is it correct about the no soil/bare root ?
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,289
    They're best just kept in the medium they're in and kept frost free. That might be greenhouse or cold frame in a mild area, or in the house if not. 

There's no point in removing the soil from them.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Fairygirl said:
    They're best just kept in the medium they're in and kept frost free. That might be greenhouse or cold frame in a mild area, or in the house if not. 

There's no point in removing the soil from them.
    Ok thank you , mine have been without soil for about 48hrs so they're probably ruined 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,289
    Someone asked about this recently, but I've no idea why this is being suggested as a method of keeping them. 
    If people don't have room for larger plants to come indoors [and I can understand that ] cuttings can be taken. They take very easily if done at a suitable time.
    You'll probably find they'll be ok if you stick them in some compost, water in,  and then follow the advice given by Lyn.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Fairygirl said:
    Someone asked about this recently, but I've no idea why this is being suggested as a method of keeping them. 
    If people don't have room for larger plants to come indoors [and I can understand that ] cuttings can be taken. They take very easily if done at a suitable time.
    You'll probably find they'll be ok if you stick them in some compost, water in,  and then follow the advice given by Lyn.  :)
    Ok that's great thank you once again 
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,046
    Are we talking about pelargoniums?
  • Are we talking about pelargoniums?
    Yes NB we are geraniums 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 80,463
    Are we talking about pelargoniums?
    Yes NB we are geraniums 
    Which? 😵‍💫
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Are we talking about pelargoniums?
    Yes NB we are geraniums 
    Which? 😵‍💫
    Well I'm led to believe pelargoniums are geraniums , but it is geraniums