Forum home Problem solving

MANURE

Thanks for your advice previously about which manure(Westland's Grow sure farmyard manure) is the best.  I did find the product in my local B&M store.  My question is, one part of the garden is under a Pine tree, and the soil is covered in pine needles.  Do I need to remove the needles before I put the manure on.  Bearing in mind I am just putting the manure on top of the soil in other parts of the garden.  Or do I need do dig the needles into the soil.  Once again I thank you for any advice. 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,289
    No  :)
    Just add it. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 80,406
    If they're in a thick layer i'd probably just stir them into the manure ... otherwise I'd just add the manure and let the worms get on with the job.  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,289
    The only thing I'd is - are you actively trying to grow anything under the pine?
    It's usually a difficult site, so it would rarely be worth adding manure if you need it more in another area   :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 6,087
    Bagged manure is not cheap and I would also save it for other areas of the garden. I don’t think it would really benefit from it anyway and wonder if it would just encourage the roots to seek the surface? Large, mature pines in poor, stony soil never get any water or feed here and they suffer far more heat stress too 😊 
  • nick615nick615 SW IrelandPosts: 1,154
    If there aren't any weeds in the area beneath the pines, like there seldom is, I feel the addition of any food source material will only tend to feed the pines.  You only have to look at natural pine woods?  Not much survives underneath them.