Forum home Problem solving

Save my Vine please

Hello,

It’s my first year growing this grape vine and it started great but then turned brown with dark patches?

• Can anyone diagnosis this?
  • Does it go away by itself?
  • What is the cure?
  • Will pruning in a month or so save three problems
  • Will my vine die?

I appreciate any advice, I don’t want to start a new vine! 

Nick 

• StephenSouthwestStephenSouthwest Southwest EnglandPosts: 395
    Hi there,

I'm wondering - when did the stem start browning, and the living situation - compost/soil, heat, wet/dry...
  • Compost and grit. 

Not over watered.

id say mild temperature.

nothing seems out of the ordinary.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 80,385
    What sort of compost? Soil-based or multi-purpose?

How big is the container?

Which method of training/pruning are you planning to follow?

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Johnn innes number 3 compost

pots about 60 litres.

haven’t completely decided on pruning method. This is its first year so let it do its own thing before all this brown black stuff happened,
    If your vine has been kept well watered then it’s probably just the stems maturing. 

This is part of my vine today. 

Whichever pruning method you’re going for you’re likely to be removing most of the stems this winter 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thank you for sharing and helping.

think I’ll prune in a month Right back.

• tui34tui34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 2,299
    Evening @ncooper18

My father-in-law, a vigneron here in France, prunes mine.  His motto - old wood out, leave one new wood to grow.  Here is a picture.  He prunes my 6 eating grape vines between January and March when the vine is dormant.  England would probably be earlier.  

I think your wood looks okay - don't expect perfection all the time.  Those grapes look might delish!!  I have to fight with the wasps and the birds to eat mine!!

When the vines start to form leaves after budding - a dusting of sulphur to avoid odium (caused by humidity) and then another when the flowers (grapes) start to form.  I usually do this in March.  Could be a little later for you.  Just sulphur in powder form, thrown on by hand and don't forget underneath!!  Otherwise, I don't use sprays and such.  A copper (blue) spray around June could be beneficial but I don't bother.  The vignerons here do this.

He is 86 and still going strong.  There is a reason for everything.  He has been doing this since he was about 8 or 9.  
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.