Forum home Problem solving

Elite 8x10 dwarf wall greenhouse ventilation help

I am buying a greenhouse 8x10 dwarf wall greenhouse. It will have 2 x roof vents as standard and I will buy the auto openers
Do I need Louvre vents too??  All the accessory add ones are getting expensive :(

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,366
    My 8x10 greenhouse has auto-openers for the top and 3 louvres on the sides.
    I find the louvres useful particularly in summer.
    The auto-vents will close on a summers night and often the greenhouse gets very humid overnight. I leave all 3 louvres open for most of the year except when I start seeds off in the spring. I also leave them open all winter to keep the g/h aired.
    I guess you could leave the door open which would keep humidity down, but I've had problems with foxes (and sometimes pigeons) causing havoc in the greenhouse overnight on occasion.
    I don't think they're vital, but they are helpful
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 2,510
    I think one louvre vent would be useful but not essential. Convection will draw in cooler air from around the door and if you are able to leave the door open then louvres become less necessary.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,270
    I find it very hard to shift condensation from my greenhouse using just the door and roof vents. I like to have a louvre on the opposite wall to the door for good cross ventilation. It also really helps in very hot weather when you can't really have enough ventilation to keep the temperatures down. Are there cheaper ways of building vents into the dwarf wall though?
    Some people bring joy wherever they go. Others, whenever they go. - Mark Twain.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,033
    Airbricks in the dwarf wall, with sliding covers if you'll need to be able to close them? I don't know how the cost would compare with the louvres though.